Skip to main content
MANDATE OF THE DIRECTORATE OF TERTIARY AND HIGHER EDUCATION
- Tertiary and Higher Education Directorate is one of the main directorates of the Ministry of Higher Education, Research, Science and Technology.
- It serves as the technical wing of the Ministry providing the linkages between the Ministry and the Tertiary and Higher Education Institutions in The Gambia.
- The Directorate in essence has policy over-sight responsibility over Tertiary and Higher Education Institutions.
- Institutions that fall under the purview of the Ministry are expected to serve as the implementing agencies in the drive to attain the shared vision and mission of the Higher Education sector.
Vision: “to play a central role in the transformation of The Gambia into a skills-based economy & knowledge society".
Mission: “to establish a tertiary and higher education system of reputable (world-class) institutions and centres of excellence that will produce well-educated and skilled citizens with the requisite competencies to lead fulfilled lives and compete nationally and globally".
FUNCTIONS OF THE DIRECTORATE
- Coordinate the development and implementation of policies and programmes to ensure access, equity, quality and relevance in Tertiary and Higher Education.
- Facilitate the development and implementation of TVET and life-long learning.
- Enhance Quality Assurance system in Tertiary and Higher Education.
- Coordinate the evaluation and assessment of academic credentials (certificates and transcripts).
- Coordinate the development, review and implementation of relevant curricula in Tertiary and Higher Education Institutions.
- Participate/ organize workshops, conferences and seminars both within and outside the country