The Honourable Minister of Higher Education, Research, Science, and Technology, Professor Pierre Gomez, is currently participating in the Higher Education Ministerial Summit, organized by Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF) in Quebec, Canada.
The four-day meeting, which commenced on October 30th, aims to bring together Higher Education ministers to reflect on various higher education development issues globally and in their respective jurisdictions. The themes include:
- Issues and reflections on the nature and role of the teachers in the era of artificial intelligence;
- New artificial intelligence ecosystems;
- Research and publications in tertiary and higher education;
- Student and staff mobility in higher education;
- Entrepreneurship and Innovation in Tertiary Education
During the panel discussions, Professor Gomez highlighted Gambia’s higher education transformation agenda, anchored on hands-on education, innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Minister held bilateral meetings with the colleague higher education ministers of Quebec, Canada – Honourable Pascal Dery and of Morocco – Honourable Abdellatif Miraoui, on potential collaboration and bilateral assistance towards TVET promotion in The Gambia, including scholarships at the postgraduate level.
The meeting agreed that The Gambia will host in April 2024 the upcoming Annual Sub-Regional Conference of Higher Education Ministers and Sectors of Southern Senegambia under the auspices of AUF.